Simon,

> Use Case: VLDB with tons of (now) read only data, some not. Data needs
> to be accessible, but data itself is rarely touched, allowing storage
> costs to be minimised via a "storage hierarchy" of progressively cheaper
> storage.

There's actually 2 cases to optimize for:
1) write-once-read-many (WORM)
2) write-once-read-seldom (WORS)

The 2nd case is becoming extremely popular due to the presence of
government-mandated records databases.  For example, I'm currently working on
one call completion records database which will hold 75TB of data, of which
we expect less than 1% to *ever* be queried.

One of the other things I'd like to note is that for WORM, conventional
storage is never going to approach column-store DBs for general performance.
So, should we be working on incremental improvements like the ones you
propose, or should we be working on integrating a c-store into PostgreSQL on
a per-table basis?

--
Josh "the Fuzzy" Berkus
San Francisco