On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:

I don't follow. The problem is not writes but reads. And if the reads are random enough no cache controller will help.

The specific example Tom was running was, in his words, "100% disk write bound". I was commenting on why I thought that was on his system and why it wasn't representative of the larger problem. You need at least a basic amount of write caching for this situation before the problem moves to being read seek bound.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD