On Jan 11, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Warren Turkal wrote:

On Jan 11, 2008 3:42 PM, Ron Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What would be the drawbacks of
  CREATE TABLE tablename(...)
  PARTITION BY function_taking_row_returning_partition_name
instead of the explicit types?

Would that still allow the optimizer to work as well as it could? It
seems that an arbitrary map like that can't be optimized very well as
it might be too general.

We did look at allowing general functions for partitioning and this was one concern. The other is that we want to enforce that a row only gets inserted into a single partition, so we wanted a declarative syntax where it was relatively easy to check that range and list specifications don't overlap.

kind regards,

Jeff Cohen

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend