On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Jan Urbaski wrote:

Unfortunately, selectivity estimation for query is much difficult than just estimate frequency of individual word.

Sure, given something like 'cats & dogs'::tsquery the frequency of 'cat' and 'dog' won't suffice. But at least it's a starting point and if we estimate that 80% of the documents have 'dog' and 70% have 'cat' then we can tell for sure that at least 50% have both and that's a lot better than 0.1% that's being returned now.

certainly yes and given that most popular queries are single word query
this would very helpful in most cases.

The reason I though about ts_stat() improvement is that we could use its
statistics for incomplete search feature people requested, when AND query like ( a & b &c ) rewrites to a set of AND|OR queries depending
on the terms occurency.

        Regards,
                Oleg