Tom Lane wrote:
Mark Mielke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... I think the transaction overhead, and attempts to re-use PostgreSQL tables to implement LISTEN/NOTIFY to be clever but mis-guided.

Oh, I don't disagree with you.  As I already mentioned, they desperately
need to be rewritten.  However, given that that's not a sanely
back-patchable answer, we have to consider what are the appropriate
semantics for the existing infrastructure.

(Also, if they *were* memory-based then the question of their relation
to 2PC semantics becomes even more urgent.)

Ah k - so count my vote as "I don't think LISTEN should be impacted by what sort of COMMIT I use, but I don't believe I'll be using LISTEN as it is today, and I definately won't be using it in two-phase commit today." For me that is "it should be usable in a two-phase commit - but it's not usable today." Sorry this isn't a clear answer to your question.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>