Le mercredi 19 mars 2008, Albert Cervera i Areny a écrit :
Hi !

> A Dimecres 19 Març 2008, Nikolay Samokhvalov va escriure:
> >  2. Why the query above provides 4 rows, not 2*4=8? Actually, that's
> > interesting -- I can use this query to find l.c.m. But it's defenetely
> > not that I'd expect before my try...
>
> 2*4 = 8:
>
> select * from generate_series(1, 2) a, generate_series(1, 4) b;

If you launch the above query, you just get what you would get if you would do
a select from two tables without joining them at all...
So, you get the cartesian product of the two ensembles.

> Can't tell you about the expected behaviour in the query you provided
> though.

I've made few tests with the primary query, and indeed it is strange
behavoiour. Consider the following :

select generate_series(1, 3), generate_series(1, 4);
 generate_series | generate_series
-----------------+-----------------
               1 |               1
               2 |               2
               3 |               3
               1 |               4
               2 |               1
               3 |               2
               1 |               3
               2 |               4
               3 |               1
               1 |               2
               2 |               3
               3 |               4
which is not fully readeable but if you sort things, you get exactly the same
as what you mentionned before :

select generate_series(1, 3), generate_series(1, 4) order by 1,2;
 generate_series | generate_series
-----------------+-----------------
               1 |               1
               1 |               2
               1 |               3
               1 |               4
               2 |               1
               2 |               2
               2 |               3
               2 |               4
               3 |               1
               3 |               2
               3 |               3
               3 |               4

So far it is clear, but if you just make things so that the the number of rows
returned by one call to generate_series is a multiple of the other, the
result is truncated :

select generate_series(1, 3), generate_series(1, 6) order by 1,2;
 generate_series | generate_series
-----------------+-----------------
               1 |               1
               1 |               4
               2 |               2
               2 |               5
               3 |               3
               3 |               6

provides the same strange result as initialy discovered, and
select generate_series(1, 6), generate_series(1, 3) order by 2,1;
 generate_series | generate_series
               1 |               1
               4 |               1
               2 |               2
               5 |               2
               3 |               3
               6 |               3

provides the same, mirrored. So, it could be a bug somewhere.
Hoping that it will be of any help...
Regards.