"Rafael Martinez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Update-in-place optimizations which enhance OLTP performance
> * Improve XML support

These made it into 8.3. There could be more enhancements and more XML support
but you're probably looking at the stuff which already made 8.3.

> * Elimination of vacuum

Nobody's really proposed eliminating vacuum altogether but we're slowly
chipping away at it. One of the projects on the table for 8.4 would make it
much more efficient, especially for large tables which are partly static. So i
would say "faster vacuum with reduced impact" rather than "elimination"

> * Auto-tuning / auto-configuration
> * Easy update-in-place - 'pgmigrator'
> * Auto partitioning / Dynamic partitioning
> * External tables interfaces (SQL/MED compliant)
> * More exotic datatypes

All of these are on the table to one degree or another. But there's no
guarantees.

> * More SQL99 and SQL2003 features
> * More query optimizer improvements

These are pretty safe bets. I think Tom's already done some optimizer
improvements :)

> * Pre-parsing phase that converts non-ISO syntax to supported syntax.

I don't know what this refers to but it doesn't sound like the kind of thing
Postgres gets involved in.

--
  Gregory Stark