On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Guillaume Smet wrote:

A good answer is probably to plan optional JDBC benchmarks in the
benchfarm design - not all people want to run Java on their boxes but
we have servers of our own to do so.

The original pgbench was actually based on an older test named JDBCbench. That code is kind of old and buggy at this point. But with some care and cleanup it's possible to benchmark not only relative Java performance with it, but you can compare it with pgbench running the same queries on the same tables to see how much overhead going through Java is adding.

Original code at http://mmmysql.sourceforge.net/performance/ , there's also some improved versions at http://developer.mimer.com/features/feature_16.htm

I'm not sure if all of those changes are net positive for PostgreSQL though, they weren't last time I played with this.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD