On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 09:44:43AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Okay, what I'm thinking is to have a pair of commands added to
> > PL/pgSQL. For
> > the sake of example we'll call them:
> >
> > ENABLE PRIVLEDGE  --> Sets user ID to that of the function's owner
> > DISABLE PRIVLEDGE --> Restores the original UID
>
> I hope you mean:
>
> ENABLE PRIVILEGE
> DISABLE PRIVILEGE

Come on, Chris, you've never heard about SQL standard LEDGE? That's
the nomenclature they chose to describe a collection of permissions:
a SHELF or LEDGE. PUBLEDGE, USERLEDGE, PRIVLEDGE. So, the last is the
PRIVATE LEDGE, reserved for the owner of the object whose access is
being determined (or was that PRIVITHEDGE? now I'm confused)

... or something. ;-) Actually, not too far from how some of the SQL92
standards docs actually seem to read, especially after falling asleep
face down on the keyboard will trying to understand them, and having
vivid dreams.

Ross (who's in the office much too late, working on budget justifications
for grants that are due tomorrow!)