Bruce Momjian wrote:

I think Andrew Chernow is fundamentally confused about dynamic linking,
which apache has to use because it doesn't know what type of file it has
to handle, with linking, which is bound to the application code. pgtypes is bound to the application code so it is not like apache --- an
application isn't going to be fed arbitrary pgtypes function calls it
has to handle.

This discussion is now completely pointless as we have conceeded to a separate library. The community has spoken. We are trying to move on and open a discussion on the hook design.

there are numbered questions:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00565.php

--
Andrew Chernow