On Apr 22, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 02:19:24PM -0500, Decibel! wrote:
But no matter how this is done, I think we need to handle the race
conditions, and handle them by default. If people *really* know what
they're doing, they can disable the row locking (perhaps one way to
do this would be to grab an explicit lock on the table and have merge
check for that...).

I disagree. The spec doesn't require it and MERGE is useful without it. For a first cut I would say implement as the spec says, race conditions
and all. Later we can think on whether it's worth handling them
directly.

That really strikes me as taking the "MySQL route". If push comes to shove, I'll take a MERGE with race conditions over no merge at all, but I think it's very important that it does the right thing. Just because the spec doesn't say anything about it doesn't mean it's ok.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]