David,

I think the consensus in the core team was that having synchronous
log shipping in 8.4 would already be a worthwhile feature by itself.

If that was in fact the consensus of the core team,

It is.

and what I've been
seeing from several core members in this thread makes that idea
unclear, it's out of step with the stated goal of the feature.  Having
some kind of half-way, doesn't-actually-quite-work-out-of-the-box
"replication" will make things worse and not better.

So, you've got a better implementation up your sleeve?

I really don't get where you're coming from on this. Frankly, your e-mails seem gauged to be merely disruptive without any intent of constructive input. If you're opposed to working on replication in the core, then just say so. If you think that there's an easier way to develop M-S replication in the core than using WAL, then please present your solution.

--Josh