On Jun 1, 2008, at 22:18, Tom Lane wrote:

I'm using C. Of course you're correct that it depends on the locale, I
always forget that. But does not the Unicode standard offer up some
sort locale-independent case-insensitivity, so that it gets it right
some large percentage of the time?

Not really, and in any case the C locale completely disables any
knowledge of Unicode.  C locale knows about 7-bit ASCII and nothing
more.

And the locale can only be set by initdb?

I don't suppose that there are any collations that sort and index case- insensitively, are there? I don't see anything suggestive in `locale - a`…

Thanks,

David