Hmm, WAL version compatibility is an interesting question. Most minor releases hasn't changed the WAL format, and it would be nice to allow
As I remember, high minor version should read all WALs from lowers, but it isn't true for opposite case and between different major versions.

running different minor versions in the master and slave in those cases. But it's certainly not unheard of to change the WAL format. Perhaps we should introduce a WAL version number, similar to catalog version?

Agree. Right now it only touches warm-stand-by servers, but introducing simple log-shipping and based on it replication will cause a lot of unobvious errors/bugs. Is it possible to use catalog version number as WAL version?

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/