Tom Lane wrote:
This gets back to the discussions at PGCon about needing to have a more
explicit representation of partitioning.  Right now, for a
many-partition table we spend huge amounts of time deriving the expected
behavior from first principles, each time we make a plan.  And even then
we can only get it right for limited cases (eg, no parameterized
queries).  If the planner actually understood that a set of tables
formed a partitioned set then it'd be a lot easier and faster to get the
desired behavior, not only with respect to the rowcount estimates but
the plan's structure.

Even if this doesn't solve every problem, it's surely worth doing for those it will solve.

cheers

andrew