looking in my freshly installed 8.3.3, I see this in the postgresql.conf

#client_encoding = sql_ascii            # actually, defaults to database
                                                           # encoding

Now, certainly initdb can't know for sure what encoding a future database will
be in, but since it does know what encoding template0 & friends will be in,
and most databases are copied from those (including encoding), wouldn't a
better default be to set it the encoding of template0?

--
Robert Treat