On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:47:21AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I'm a bit curious how useful in practice this would actually be.  Obviously,
> you want to use host names to simplify the management of hosts, currently
> being done with IP addresses.  But how widely useful is it really to
> authenticate a bunch of hosts in different ways?  I'd say the standard case
> is localhost vs everything else.  Or perhaps localhost vs LAN vs rest of the
> Internet.  In neither of these cases , using host names helps much.

The obvious case for it (which is why I'm not arguing against using it
as such) is network renumbering.  If you renumber a network, right now
you have to update these files.  Today this isn't a big deal, but as
IPv4 addresses get scarcer and IPv6 addresses come online, this is
going to become a problem people have more often.  In large
deployments with a lot of postmasters and many people's hands
involved, one fewer change to manage would be a boon.

Moreover, in managed networks, you don't always control when your IPs
will change or how.  Doing this by hostname could have advantages for
reliability, at the possible cost of startup performance.  One reason
to use DNS names rather than static /etc/host entries or IP
addresses is this resilience in the face of a changing network
infrastructure.

> We have people here concerned about security of DNS, rightly so.  But what
> about relying on IP addresses or, by extension, MAC addresses for security;
> is that safe?

Well, there's one fewer thing that can be subverted.  But
authenticating from a host address is pretty weak authentication.  I'd
think the Morris worm teaches us that.

Without DNSSEC, subverting the DNS is very close to trivial.  But, in
the presence of competent DNSSEC deployment, subverting the DNS
becomes just shy of impossible, so this might become a strategy
approximately as strong as authentication by host address.  You're
still trusting a connection on the basis of who it claims to be and
where it's coming from; that's hardly strong authentication.  I agree
with Andrew Dunstan that for any real world wide-scale uses, you want
to use some sort of strong authentication.

Andrew Sullivan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/