Simon Riggs wrote:
SQL, in text form, is the interface to other databases. You can't pass
half a plan tree to Oracle, especially not a PostgreSQL plan tree. It
has to be text if you wish to send a query to another RDBMS, or another
version of PostgreSQL.

Oh, I see. Agreed.

Though note that there's big differences in SQL dialects, so a one-size-fits-all approach to generating SQL to be executed in the remote database won't work. (not that I think anyone has suggested that)

So if I understand you, you want to pass the partial plan tree and then
have a plugin construct the SQL text.

Exactly.

Maybe you thought I meant internal interfaces should be in text?

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought you meant.

No,
that would be bizarre. I meant we should not attempt to pass partial
plan trees outside of the database, since that would limit the feature
to only working with the same version of PostgreSQL database.

Agreed. I'm glad we're on the same page now.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas