Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Juli 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> IMHO, practically the only solid argument for changing from the way
>> we do things now is "to meet the letter of the spec".

> Well no.  As I have mentioned, there have actually been occasional complaints
> by people who can't run their code generated by closed-source applications,
> because they handle the case differently.

Sure, otherwise we wouldn't really be worrying about this.  But if
someone comes to us and says "this closed source app requires some
weird non-spec-compliant case folding rule, please make Postgres
do that", we're going to say no.  Their argument only has weight
if they say their app expects the SQL-spec behavior.