 >> Tom, could you please elaborate where you see a security hole?

 Tom> The problem that we've seen in the past shows up when the user
 Tom> lies in the CREATE TYPE command, specifying type representation
 Tom> properties that are different from what the underlying functions
 Tom> expect.  In particular, if it's possible to pass a pass-by-value
 Tom> integer to a function that's expecting a pass-by-reference
 Tom> datum, you can misuse the function to access backend memory.

It strikes me that type output functions are routinely invoked by
superusers (e.g. during pg_dump), and therefore if a non-superuser can
create a type, that seems to imply that there's no way for a superuser
to safely examine or dump the content of the database without risking
the execution of untrusted code, correct?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)