On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

There's already some changes needed in this area needed to execute the
full GUC cleanup/wizard plan that's being worked on.  The pg_settings view
really should show the value both as the user input it and as it's stored
internally for cases like these, which lowers the confusion here a bit
even without going so far as converting everything to bytes.

Is this a TODO?

I don't think you need yet another TODO for every detail, the existing TODO "Add external tool to auto-tune some postgresql.conf parameters" has to squash a bunch of issues in this area. This particular issue Greg raised will already be improved significantly if executing the larger project plan at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GUCS_Overhaul

This week Robert Treat and I have been doing a lot of work on "Problem #1" there, "Most people have no idea how to set [GUCs]" which I know some people wanted to see a more formal document for before mucking with any of the code. I'll have something to announce there shortly.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD