Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Chernow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Anyways (back on topic), I am in favor of removing limits from any section of the database ... not just your suggestion. The end-user application should impose limits.

That's nice as an abstract principle, but there are only so many hours
in the day, so we need to prioritize which limits we're going to get rid
of.  The 4-byte limit on individual Datum sizes does not strike me as a
limit that's going to be significant for practical use any time soon.
(I grant David's premise that people will soon want to work with objects
that are larger than that --- but not that they'll want to push them
around as indivisible, store-and-fetch-as-a-unit field values.)

                        regards, tom lane

Yeah, my comments were overly general. I wasn't suggesting attention be put on one limit over another. I was only saying that the act of removing a limit (of which many are arbitrary) is most often a good one.

andrew