Hi,

Gregory Stark wrote:
I definitely like the int_array_append_aggregate function but I don't see
anything int[] specific about it. We should be able to have a generic
array_union() aggregate which uses the same IsA(fcinfo->context, AggState)
trick to scribble on its state variable. It don't even see any reason it
couldn't work for arrays of varlenas, though it would take a bit of
restructuring.

I've just noticed that this already is a todo item:

  "Add array_accum() and array_to_set() functions for arrays

    The standards specify array_agg() and UNNEST."

See also:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-08/msg00464.php

Regards

Markus Wanner