* Gregory Stark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> The other reason to think NOTICE might be better is that it's something which,
> if it occurs once, will always occur for that database. So a sysadmin will
> become inured to seeing WARNING on his backups. Are there any other warning
> conditions which could occur spontaneously that this would mask?

Impartial on NOTICE vs. WARNING, it could go either way for me.

> One minor thought -- surely the main use case for data-only dumps is for
> importing into another brand of database. In which case the message seems a
> bit awkward -- it could talk generically about disabling or dropping the
> constraints and then have a hint to indicate how to do that with Postgres.

I have to disagree strongly with this.  We have multiple PG instances
and often have cause to copy between them using data-only pg_dump.  On
the other side, I've never used pg_dump (data-only or not) to generate
something to load data into a different database.

        Thanks,

                Stephen