Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> There is interest among packagers to run the regression tests or other
> tests after the build.  The Red Hat RPMs have shipped a postgresql-test
> package for years with a hacked-up makefile that will probably overwrite
> random files that it shouldn't in /usr/lib.  So I would rather be in
> favor of coming up with a solution that would make this work rather than
> removing the options.  The solution would probably be adding another
> option to place the generated files, but the exact behavior would need
> to be worked out.

Hmm.  I took a look at the RPM makefiles and patches, and it doesn't
seem like changing this part of pg_regress would solve anything.  The
RPM changes are about shared libraries, whereas this is just about
moving the generated files (equivalent to those in the "sql" directory).

For an example of the hacked-up makefiles and stuff, see here:
https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore/browser/rpm/redhat/8.3/postgresql/F-9/

The relevant files are Makefile.regress, postgresql-test.patch, and
postgresql-8.3.spec (lines 440ff).