> why would creation time (as opposed to any other time, eg last schema
> modification, last data modification, yadda yadda) be especially
> significant?

Hmm, those would be cool, too.

Seriously, I believe we can get last data modification from filesystem
(if it is keeping of course), but we cannot get the creation time --
that's why I am talking about the creation time.

It would be useful when a DBA is not sure whether (s)he created the
object on a known time, or it was not restored from backups correctly or
not.

> Would you expect it to be preserved over dump/restore?

No. If we are talking about "creation time", then it means we should not
preserve it, IMHO.

> How about every other object type in the system?

I'm talking about every object.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE