Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
No, that's not what I had in mind at all, just the ability to deliver
one of a specified set of event notifications --- ie, get around the
fact that Unix only gives us two user-definable signal types.

Ah, okay. And I already thought you'd like imessages :-(

For signals sent from other backends, it'd be sufficient to put a
bitmask field into PGPROC entries, which the sender could OR bits into
before sending the one "real" signal event (either SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2).

That might work for expanding the number of available signals, yes.

Regards

Markus Wanner