Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
The FSM is not updated during WAL replay. That means that after crash recovery, the FSM won't be completely up-to-date, but at roughly the state it was at last checkpoint. In a warm stand-by, the FSM will reflect the situation at last full backup. We need to think when the FSM should be updated during WAL replay. Probably not after every record, because of the overhead, but certainly more often than never.

What's about after a page write  during a WAL replay?

You mean when a page is evicted from the buffer cache?

Yes

That might be pretty good from performance point of view, but from a modularity point of view, the buffer manager should have no business modifying the FSM.

Yeah, it is true. I suggest to try modify FMS info on each manipulation in WAL replay and if it will have performance issue we can start think about improvements.

                Zdenek