Andrew Chernow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Does fork/exec preserve lock ownership on Windows?

> Not to my knowledge.  On windows, there is only CreateProcess
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx).  That doesn't
> resemble the behavior of fork or exec at all.

Hmm.  Now that you mention it, didn't we solve a similar problem by
exploiting the behavior where CreateProcess creates a process but
doesn't start it running?  I'm envisioning

        * Create child process in suspended state
        * Assign it ownership of a lock (can we do that?)
        * Set it running

If the postmaster crashes between steps 1 and 2, then the zombie process
doesn't hold a lock, but it will never do anything so it doesn't matter.

OTOH, if the postmaster crashes between steps 2 and 3, there's probably
no way to restart your database except to reboot ...