On Friday 05 December 2008 03:55, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Kurt Harriman wrote:
> > Sometimes people would like to call C++ code in the PostgreSQL
> > backend environment... for example, in user-defined functions,
> > triggers, access methods.  And there is sometimes a need for
> > C++ code to call back into PostgreSQL's C functions, such as
> > the SPI interface.
>
> Have you considered writing a procedural language plugin for C++?
> PostgreSQL supports a lot of extension languages, and none of them
> require the amount of backend changes that you outline here, because the
>   PL plugin serves as glue.

I think this patch is great,  although I haven't had time to test it yet.  The
only real "backend change" is the exception-handling clause;  and the fact
that the backend will also be linked against the C++ runtime library.
Everything else is routine stuff that an experienced C++ developer would end
up catching while trying to get his build-system for a new project running;
but it could certainly scare away someone with less experience.  Better to
deal with this way ahead of time and test it on a few platforms.

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or