On Nov 30, 2008, at 12:04 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
Agreed, default values should not be a part of function signatures, although it might be nice if ALTER FUNCTION to allow default values to be changed.

It would be VERY nice. I routinely cut and paste an entire function header to later perform things like ALTER and GRANT so that I don't have to re-type everything. It would be a huge PITA if I had to then go and delete any default settings.

Example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION add(
        a int
        , b int
) RETURNS int LANGUAGE ...

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION add(
        a int
        , b int
) TO someuser;
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]