On Dec 12, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

So I think that really this is never going to fly unless it uses a
keyword-looking reserved word.  And we're not going to take some short
word that's not reserved now and suddenly make it so.  So, despite
Pavel's objection that the AS syntax proposal might be confused with
other uses of AS, I seriously doubt that any proposal is going to get
accepted that doesn't recycle AS or some other existing reserved word.

I'm okay with AS if that's the way it has to be, but what about a colon right at the end of the label? A cast is two colons, so no conflict there:

  SELECT foo(1, name: 'bar', quantity: 10);

No doubt I'm missing something…

Best

David