Simon Riggs wrote:
Issues (2) and (3) would go away entirely if both standby and primary
always had the same xmin value as a system-wide setting. i.e. the
standby and primary are locked together at their xmins. Perhaps that was
Heikki's intention in recent suggestions?

No, I only suggested that as an optional optimization. We can't rely on it, because the queries on standby should still work correctly if the connection to primary is lost for some reason, or if the primary decides not to honor standby's xmin, perhaps to avoid the usual issues with long-running-transactions.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas