Robert Haas wrote:

Compression is
generally bad for performance, though there are certainly exceptions.
What it is good for is saving disk space, and that is why people use
it.

I don't think disk space is still the primary reason for using compression; shoot.. I can buy a terabyte drive for $150 on newegg and 1.5TB drives are out. I think the primary reason has been slowly moving towards performance. Fast downloads, compressed web sites or simply reading/writing less to/from disk are very common use cases for compression; all increase performance. Basically, compression comonly offers faster data delivery. As long as you utilize a fast compressor, like lzo or zlib "NOT level 9", its a performance win.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC