Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 02:03:14 Tom Lane wrote:
I don't think there's a bug here, at least not in the sense that it
isn't Operating As Designed.  But it does seem like we could do with
some more/better documentation about exactly how FOR UPDATE works.
The sequence of operations is evidently a bit more user-visible than
I'd realized.

Well, if the effect of ORDER BY + FOR UPDATE is "it might in fact not be ordered", then it's pretty broken IMO. It would be pretty silly by analogy for example, if the effect of GROUP BY + FOR UPDATE were "depending on concurrent events, it may or may not be fully grouped".

I can see two ways forward:

1) We document bluntly that ORDER BY + FOR UPDATE can return unordered results, or

2) We prohibit ORDER BY + FOR UPDATE, like we do with a number of other clauses. (There would be no loss of functionality, because you can run the query a second time in the transaction with ORDER BY.)

Comments?