Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
Simon Riggs wrote:
I notice that we allow commands such as
SET TRANSACTION read only read write read only;
BEGIN TRANSACTION read only read only read only;

My own feeling is that the second example is okay but the first should
be rejected, since (a) it's quite unclear what the user wants, and (b)
the ensuing behavior would be determined by implementation artifacts
like which order we processed the options in.

I think this might be best solved by providing a common function that checks a DefElem list for duplicates. This could be used in a number of other places as well (grep for "conflicting or redundant options").