On 2009-01-12, at 16:48, Dave Page wrote:

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:

Basically I think we are up against the same type of project management
decision we've had several times before: are we willing to slip the
8.4 release schedule for however long it will take for hot standby
and the other replication-related features to be ready?

I would certainly not like to see 8.4 slip.

I would. PostgreSQL is not a commercial application which has to be
released on schedule to satisfy shareholders - it's an Open Source
project that aims to provide it's users with useful features. We have
two extremely useful features here (hot standby and sync replication)
which together will make this a killer release for many people - we
can delay a month or two as required to polish and get them ready for
release, or decide we're willing to wait another 12 - 14 months for
them to be available for end users.

I'd much rather see them included than deferred (particularly hot
standby, parts of which have been awaiting review for months now
anyway, through no fault of Simons).

+1