Simon Riggs wrote:

Any release with big
features in it will take longer, whether you wait a year, or not.

Well, big features that land early in the release cycle don't delay the release. Just the ones that are submitted in the last commit fest.

I think the choice here is currently between features or release
schedule, but we could look at things differently and generate some
other options.

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. features vs. release schedule. I don't see how else you could look at things.

What would our users want?

I'm sure it depends on the user. Users that are more interested in the features we already have in the bag like window functions and WITH-clause, will obviously prefer to release earlier without hot standby. And users that want hot standby (or SE-postgresql) will prefer to delay the release and have those features included.

I don't personally have an opinion, because I don't work with any real-world databases. It's a tradeoff and both options seem good to me. I'm going to stick around and keep reviewing Hot Standby as long as it takes, and when it's ready I can commit it to either 8.4 or 8.5. It's the same amount of work for me either way.

There's still a list of non-resolved issues that I estimate will take about two weeks to address. And there's a good possibility that new issues arise, which require yet more time.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas