Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
2) pg_upgrade.sh
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00248.php

Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
currently there is no workable solution.

I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't look difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.

We don't require perl for any other feature, do we? Seems like a pretty onerous requireemnt for Windows in particular. We do use perl in the build scripts, but that's only required if you want to compile from source.

Well, from that POV the only portable thing is to translate it into C. That's just a whole lot more work (remember initdb?). The perl port for Windows is easily installable, widely used and well regarded. It doesn't strike me as too high a price to pay for the ability to do upgrades, but I'll defer to more Windows-centric commenters.

cheers

andrew