Tom Lane wrote:
I wrote:
I'm almost done reviewing the patch, and will send along an updated
version shortly.

And here 'tis.

Many many thanks. Your edits look very sensible, as always.

 I didn't commit because I have no way to test whether
I broke the Windows code path.  Please test, and commit if OK.

Will do.
There is an unfinished TODO item here: we really ought to make it work
for tar-format archives.  That's probably not hugely difficult, but
I didn't look into it, and don't think we should hold up applying the
existing patch for it.

Right. Were you thinking this should be done for 8.4?

cheers

andrew