On 2 Feb 2009, at 14:50, Robert Haas wrote:

well, true - but also, statically allocated table, without any predefined
size (with #DEFINE) , and no boundary check - is bad as well.
I suppose , this code is easy enough to let it be with your changes, but I
would still call it not pretty.

Well, it might merit a comment.
:)

What I'd really like to do is develop some tests based on a publicly
available dataset.  Any suggestions?

I would say, it wouldn't hurt to do benchmarking/profiling regression tests on real hardware - but someone will have to generate quite substantial amount of data, so we could test it on small queries, up to 20+ join/sort/window function/aggregation queries, with various indexes, and data types. The more real the data, the better. I could make some of my stuff public - but without the lookup tables (id->some real data - like, names, surnames, mac addr, etc).