daveg wrote:
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:23:17PM -0500, Andrew Chernow wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
The LZMA SDK is granted to the public domain:
http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

I played with this but found the SDK extremely confusing and flat out horrible. One personal dislike was the unnecessary use of C++; although it was the horrible API that turned me off. I'm not even sure if I ever got a test program working.

LZO (http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/) is a great algorithm, easy API with many variants; my fav is LZO1X-1(15). Its known for its compresison and decompresison speeds ... its blazing fast. zlib typically gets 5-8% more compression.

LZO rocks. I wonder if the lzo developer would consider a license exception
so that postgresql could use it?  What would we need?

Probably a BSD license or a clean room implementation which we could BSD license.

cheers

andrew