Hi,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have been thinking, with a semi-formal deprecation policy, we could
> make these decisions with more confidence.

+1  (I'm reading this as a very general proposal also targeting C APIs,
not only GUCs).

> Comments?

With the proposed policy we'd have to recommend users to upgrade in
steps of at least every 2nd release for these obsoleteness and
deprecation warnings to have any effect. However, I'm often seeing users
taking pretty large steps like upgrading from 7.4 to 8.3.

OTOH those users are certainly prepared for major incompatibilities and
prepared to adjust their code. However, the value of 2 in N+2 is
certainly debatable.

Regards

Markus Wanner