Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I've been working on some scripts (for pgfoundry) which help in
> "cleaning up" databases which have TSearch and other contrib modules
> installed to schema public.  However, I ran into this odd issue:

> ERROR:  btree operators must return boolean

Is that the actual error message?  The closest string I can find in 8.3
or HEAD is "index operators must return boolean".

> What appears to be happening there is that PG isn't finding the tsearch
> operators or is selecting the wrong operators.

It seems possible that you could get an error like that as a result of
something creating a shell operator and not filling it in afterwards,
but if so I'd blame the earlier something; the worst that can be laid at
CREATE OPERATOR CLASS's door is giving a less helpful error message than
it could.  We really need to see a complete example of how to reproduce
the problem before speculating about appropriate fixes.