Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that this calls for a change in autovacuum itself; it seems
> to be that whatwe really need is the ability to change postgresql.conf
> settings from the SQL interface.

Sure. 'SET GLOBAL autovacuum = off' is a TODO item.

I have another idea that autovacuum will use 'autovacuum role'
to process tables. We don't need to add syntax because we already
have per-database and per-role settings.

Something like:
    ALTER ROLE autovacuum SET autovacuum = off;

We also need to adjust those variable can be set on-the-fly, though.
The current version of postgres doesn't allow to set them.
    ERROR:  parameter "..." cannot be changed now

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center