[ back to planner stuff after a hiatus ]

Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> Right, so maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been in asking the
> question.  I do understand how it can be a win to unique B and use it
> as the OUTER relation (jointype JOIN_UNIQUE_OUTER).  What I don't
> understand is how it can ever be a win to unique B and use it as the
> INNER relation (jointype JOIN_UNIQUE_INNER).

Hmm, well, maybe B is *really* nonunique and unique'ifying it makes it
small enough to fit in a single-batch hash table?

Also, seriously nonunique RHS data is pretty awful for mergejoining
(too much rescanning) so I could imagine wanting to do it for a
mergejoin too.