On Wednesday 04 March 2009 16:34:54 Joshua Tolley wrote:
> Way back in this thread[1] one of the arguments against allowing
> some version of CREATE SYNONYM was that we couldn't create a synonym for
> an object in a remote database. Will the SQL/MED work make this sort of
> thing a possibility?

The idea is that SQL/MED will create objects known as foreign tables that
represent remote resources but work locally like a normal table.  So in some
sense, SQL/MED already creates a local synonym-type thing for remote
resources anyway, so there is no need to create a separate synonym in the
Oracle sense on top of that.