On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> THIS IS WHAT I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT IN POSTGRESQL
> 1. I cant get a clear answer on what kind of data type to use for my large
> text string?  TEXT, ???, ??? or something about TOAST
> I have seen in the e-mail archive but cant find any documentaion?
I would suggest bytea or blob. Blobs are well-documented in normal
documentation and in documentation of your favorite interface, so I'll
just talk about bytea.

> 2. I've written my own escape method ,("cant find one for Pgsql") , BUT i
> don't know what
> to escape and not to escape. So it keeps failing. I cand find any docs. on
> what to escape either?
For bytea, follow this rule: to escape a null character, use this:
'\\0'. To escape a backslash, use this: '\\\\'.

Same idea to unescape data.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster