Tom Lane wrote:

I'm starting to vacillate again.  It's clear that for the purposes
of string_to_array, an empty input string is fundamentally ambiguous:
it could mean a list of no things, or a list of one empty thing.
Agreed. Of the two, a list of one empty thing makes string_to_array closer to an inverse of array_to_string.

Or we could stick to the current behavior and say "use COALESCE() to
resolve the ambiguity, if you need to".

Currently string_to_array(null, ',') yields a null result - indistinguishable from string_to_array('',','). Wrapping in coalesce does not help distinguish true null input from empty-string input. I'm not sure at the moment what other cases exist where non-null input generates null output.

If the decision is to leave the behavior unchanged, it at least cries out for a documentation patch.

Cheers,
Steve