Vlad Arkhipov <arhi...@dc.baikal.ru> wrote:

> Is it possible to print which key value is duplicated when 'Duplicate
> key value violates unique constraint' occurs? Foreign key violation
> error reports such kind of information.

I think it is not difficult from a technical standpoint.
The attached patch adds DETAIL messages to duplicate key value error:

    postgres=# INSERT INTO tbl(pk1, pk2) VALUES ('A', 1);
    ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "tbl_pkey"
    DETAIL:  Key (pk1,pk2)=(A,1) already exists.

If no objection, I'd like to submit the patch to the next commit-fest (8.5).

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center